Sunday, December 5, 2010

How our books take over our lives

As I read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest this weekend I noticed some scary comparisons between what effects AP English 12 has on my life and the story in the book. For one the daily discussions in which they criticize each other mirrors how every day we have a discussion we inevitably end up criticizing some character and in both cases it is meant to be beneficial and help people learn. Another comparison I drew between the book and my life reflects the essays and data sheets in real life and the shock therapy in the book. In both instances the event generates great panic and stress beforehand but after everyone calms down and the actual event becomes sort of a blur and unclear as people refuse to reflect and stress over what happened. After both events a sense of calm and relief that it has passed ensues as people try to move on. Also we also each have our own writing groups and prefer to stay that way and not to disrupt the groups just like the groupings in the novel. In these many ways the book develops strange and unsettling parallels to my own life.

1 comment:

  1. Kyle, I like your comparisons between Ken Kesey's novel and your AP English life. I agree with you especially with the discussions. Just like how Bromden always lurks around and watches everyone else deaf and mute so do I sometimes during class. I observe the different subtle actions of everyone else and I try to plot my entrances into the discussion just as Bromden plots his revealing of all the silent observations he has taken.

    ReplyDelete