Sunday, December 26, 2010
Is the House a Haven or a Mental Institution
As the holiday's pass many of us either visited relatives or they came to us. This part of the the many holidays that occur around now that drive people insane. Does the house become like a mental institution at this point with many crazy people stuck together whether they want to or not. Some of the similarities, strange enough, appear quite accurate. Much like the mental hospital in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest the majority of the patients entered and stayed voluntarily. They willingly placed themselves in the situation just as we willingly go to visit or invite over the relatives we wish we never saw. Also, both groups take the path of less resistance. In the case of the mental patients in the book, they subject themselves to the horror rather then face life on the outside, because it represents the easier path. With visiting relatives, we also take the path of less resistance. We prefer to trap ourselves with people we do not want to be with because it became what society expected over the years and we prefer to torture ourselves rather then go against what society expects just as the mental patients do. This acceptance of societal expectations reflects the patients perfectly. This combined with how both groups of people willingly put themselves into the situations they face and endure shows a comparison between the two groups that seems way to close to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kyle, I have the same feelings regarding visiting relatives. Although I would much rather spend time over the holidays with my friends, I feel pressured by my parent's expectations to spend time with relatives whom more often than not I do not know. I think it is very creative how you paralleled this with the patients at the mental hospital in Kesey's novel, but hopefully our experiences with our relatives will be more pleasant that their stay with Nurse Ratched.
ReplyDeleteKyle, I concur with the fact that spending an extensive amount of time with family can cause us to go a bit crazy, especially if we do not particularly care for a relative or two. As Mariel said, hopefully nobody has a "Nurse Ratched" in their family, or is treated by anyone in their family in the same manner that Nurse Ratched treats their patients. I love spending time with my family over the holidays, but sometimes the 40+ people squeezed into my grandmothers house Christmas Day can get a bit hectic.
ReplyDelete