Sunday, December 19, 2010

How to Approach the Next Data Sheet

As the time for another Data Sheet approaches the question of how to tackle it arises. Given that we have all of winter break to work on it, will it get left for the last couple of days or will it be worked on every day? Some may take the more practical approach of facing the challenge head on much like McMurphy tackles problem of the Big Nurse. Should this be the approach we take towards the Data Sheet that rules our lives much like the Big Nurse rules the patients. Continually chip away at it until it finally cracks and crumbles after multiple days of difficult work. To some that may seem like the best approach to dealing with the Data Sheet. However some if not the majority of us will take the path of least resistance much like the other patients take when dealing with the Big Nurse. Put off the confrontation with it until the last possible minute and then facing up to the challenge only when forced to by an impending deadline or in the case of the patients and McMurphy when he forces them to face her. Personally I hope that I take the first path and chip away day by day however I feel that inevitably I will end up falling down the second path of procrastinating and refusing to face the challenge until forced to. This likely fact reinforces on of the main points that Kasey tries to get across to his readers, that most humans prefer to put off confrontation and adversity until forced to do otherwise and for those of us who succumb to this desire, it means a long tiring night right before the Data Sheet is due. So good luck to those who hope to fight this human urge and be proactive and to the rest, try not to be up until 4 a.m. when finally forced to confront the Data Sheet.

3 comments:

  1. Kyle, I really enjoy your comparison of the data sheet to the big nurse and us to the patients. Sadly, although I know it is coming, I fear I may end up like the patients and try to ignore the problem for as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I will definitely be avoiding this problem for as long as possible. Before break, I told myself that I would take one day and work on data sheet, start to finish. Having the data sheet done and having the first week back from break just to relax would be an amazing feeling. But, I know I will be completely strung-out the night before it's due trying to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle, I loved the point you made about human nature in your blog. I feel that humans do indeed push things back to avoid confrontation all the time. As for the data sheet, I have completely put it out of my mind during break and I am beginning to regret having done so. Looks like I will go down the treacherous second path.

    ReplyDelete