Sunday, January 2, 2011
Unable to Escape AP English
Over this winter break I saw the movie Tron: Legacy with another AP English student. For those who do not know the movie, the story covers a boy trying to find his dad who mysteriously vanished many years earlier. As we left the movie we found ourselves not discussing the plot but discussing the deeper meaning and what the movie said about society and our views on perfection and power. As we discussed the movie we noticed that while the plot lacked many things the questions and commentary about society that the movie raised kept us paying attention the entire time. Upon realizing this we both started laughing that we analyzed this Disney movie to the level that we analyze our books for AP English. Instead of criticizing the plot we found ourselves more intrigued by the underlying points and messages. When I discussed this movie with my brother who also saw it and tried to bring up these topics he simply looked at me and asked what I meant because he did not notice these ideas at all. After I explained where these comments and questions came from in the movie he began to understand where I came up with them but still thought I was crazy. I find it very interesting that AP English changed my perspective so much that even seeing a movie now results in me analyzing the movie and looking for the deeper message about society as a whole.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kyle that is very interesting that you noticed this. I do the exact same thing now after seeing a piece of art or watching a movie. I think it is a change for the better in us all. As younger students we liked the special effects or the action scenes in movies but now we focus on the deep messages and hidden meanings. It seems to be a symbol showing or transition from innocent children to educated adults. Of course, we are not fully educated yet, but we are well on our way. Times like you have described make me excited to further my education.
ReplyDeleteKyle,
ReplyDeleteI am the exact same way as you and Thomas. Whether it be a movie, book, song or statement made by somebody I'll over analysis or whip out literary devices in my head. In any class that I’m in if we have something to read I’ll accidently begin to mark up the book or paragraph and have to catch myself and remind myself of my unnecessary actions. Also I heard my older sister who hasn’t been in AP English for two years call out dramatic irony while we watched Aladdin, apparently this never goes away.