Friday, January 7, 2011

The Story Goes Around and Around

Dick And Perry

Chief Bromden

And Teddy Danials

As we discussed the movie today in class most of the discussion centered on the unexpected twist at the end and that the main character belonged in the institution as a patient. As one of the points of this twist people mentioned that perhaps the director intended for people to learn to gather all the information and not rely on one source. Upon hearing this many of us turned to each other and whispered Othello to each other. Yes, this old theme of gather all of the information before acting or believing someone reappeared once again in a completely different setting and time frame. This connection sent most of us laughing as we realized that we once again landed on this topic that we discussed so much during Othello. However while that much more obvious connection occurred to most I felt like we saw this theme elsewhere in an English book before and thats when I realized, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. That connection of dealing with mentally unstable people and understanding how they view the world contains strong connections to both the movie and our reading. Capote's study of Dick and Perry relates to how the mentally unstable view the world in both Shutter Island and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.This constant interconnections between the various books and movies we read and view keeps deepening and becoming more difficult to untangle. For example, In Cold Blood and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest were assigned in different years and the chance of a connection would make most ignore the possibility yet it remains there leaving the question what other connections we may have missed?

2 comments:

  1. Kyle, I also found connections to In Cold Blood in discussion last Thursday. We ponded over the reader's connection toward Leonardo in Shutter Island and how we feel as though the audience feels obliged to believe the character displaying the story. I feel as though Capote feel into a similar trap with Perry. He became emotionally attached to him and began to create a bias toward him. I feel as though these connections are not coincidental and there are many more to uncover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle, I also agree with you. It surprised me at first when our class connection Othello and Shutter Island because they seem so different, but the main purposes do reflect one another. It does also parallel In Cold Blood. I find it interesting that such different books, written in such different times hold very similar purposes. It goes to show that the main problems in society do generally stay the same.

    ReplyDelete