Monday, April 11, 2011

Why So Critical?

Today the criticism appeared even stronger then normal. Really, is it necessary? When there are times when I "find a sobbing lump under the covers that's supposed to be my wife" I think I am doing the best I can (74). I know many people like Thomas Donely think I should "take more responsibility," but with my jobs I do the best I can. Especially now that I "run interference on the scouts," which means that I have to be at all the games and practices to try and protect my son because of his lack of attention to anything around him (74). Just this coming week I have to take time off work to fly to Chicago to help when Rodney meets with the owner of the Cubs. All that time off work means a smaller paycheck for me which is something we just can not afford. But really it is not like we have a choice is it? If he goes on his own he will be completely lost in Chicago and be unable to find his way where he needs to go, if I go with him we lose money. It is just a lose-lose situation. Rodney will "wake up at six p.m. and dress for school, and if we don't catch him ... he'll stand down at the bus stop for an hour" completely oblivious to the lack of other people there (73). There is just no way to do better then what I am doing right now so back off on the criticism please because I would like to see you manage a situation like this. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Kyle, I really enjoyed your blog entry, nice job! I like how you incorporated our class's tendency to criticize characters in the book, when we have never even been in those characters' shoes, so to speak. I also addressed this tendency towards criticism in my blog but in relation to Moushumi. I understand and believe that cheating is wrong, but I feel like we might have been too hard on Moushumi since none of us have been married before, let alone falling out of love with your spouse. I think this issue arises with John Senior as well. Can we really criticize him when none of us know what it's like to be a parent? I find it somewhat strange that I at least, more readily criticize characters in books than I do people in real life.

    ReplyDelete